Thursday, August 16, 2012

Are electronic devices taking over your life, too?

I read this post this evening and was convicted.  I have been on the computer and my phone WAY too much lately.  Really need to stop that...  Just when I get started back on my blog again...  Ironic, isn't it?

So here is my plan:

  1. The phone will be turned "off" from 7am - 8pm. (I still have to have it on for emergencies, and there are appointments to make and things like that, but I will not answer the phone except for emergencies.)
  2. I will keep my computer off until all 4 kids are in bed.  The last child goes at 9pm.  Wow, that will be such a huge change, especially since I head to bed no later than 10pm.  I will really have to keep my priorities straight so I can get whatever work done that needs to be done on the computer before my time is up.  No staying up late!  I'll have to start doing more work on paper - the old-fashioned way!
  3. I will include myself in my kids' activities throughout the day, or at least be there with them watching them, even if I'm just reading outside while they play next to me or in the yard.
  4. I will never be too busy to help them, listen to them, guide them, explore with them, hold them, love them.  I will not get so involved in my own activities and work that I forget to be a mother first and foremost.
  5. I will include them in my life, as well, so that we can get our work done together so that we can go play together.
Of course, I'm not perfect, so I know this will not happen all the time.  But from now on, I am going to try really hard to follow these.  In fact, I'll print them out and tape them to the top of my computer, the wall by my bed, and anywhere else I end up on my phone when I shouldn't be (like the kitchen while I'm cooking - don't ask how many times I've burned things because I forgot I had something in the oven while I was playing on my phone - it's as bad as leaving the kitchen!).

I challenge you to put down the phone and turn off the computer and engage with your children.  We only have them with us for a little while, and the time goes so fast.  Soon they will be gone from our next, and we will miss them.  Will we regret the time we had with them, or will we look back with fondness?  How about our children?  What will they remember about us during their childhood?

No comments: