Monday, August 18, 2008

It's so hot...

We don't have central air. A window A/C unit resides in the living room, which makes the living room nice and cool. As for the rest of the house, it's quite warm. Upstairs is horrible. There's no window unit up here, where our office is and where the kids sleep. We have fans, but they just mostly blow the hot air around. Nice, huh? I can't wait to move. We will hopefully be buying a house with central air, and if it doesn't have it, we will get it before the hot weather arrives again.

Speaking of a new house, I NEED A DISHWASHER!!! It's driving me nuts to not have one. I get eczema on my hands because I'm allergic to... something. Not 100% sure what, but I think it might have something to do with triclosan, an antibacterial agent. It's in most dishsoaps and antibacterial handsoaps. When I wear rubber gloves to wash the dishes, my hands don't itch nearly as much. Also, when I am out and about and need to wash my hands, it's almost always antibacterial soap, the vast majority of which have triclosan in them. But if I rinse my hands for a long time (like at least a minute or more), my hands might not itch so much. Maybe. To further the proof against triclosan, a brand of deodorant I had never tried before has it in it. I just happened to read the ingredients before using it. When I saw that, I'm like, "Hm, this could make a pretty good experiment." So I used it for about 5 or 6 days, started breaking out in the all-too-well-known rash, and said, "Good-bye!" So I am pretty sure it is the triclosan that I'm allergic to. Someday I will go to an allergist and get my solid proof. :)

Anyway, my kids were sick all weekend and today, so no school today. :( Too bad, too, as I had a great day planned. But tomorrow should be beautiful and a little cooler, so it's not all bad. We'll just be a day behind this week. Oh-well. One week from today my 4yo starts 4K. I can't believe she's 4! Just today I noticed that she actually looks like a little girl instead of a toddler/preschooler. I remember when I noticed that in my oldest. Ah, how the years fly by!

So I guess there's not much else to talk about today. So I'll close for now and maybe something interesting will happen tomorrow. :D

1 comment:

Maria said...

We don't have central air either but our little window units (we have one upstairs and one downstairs) actually keep our house cool. Maybe yours just needs replacement? Of course, a new house with central air is even better:)

We put a dishwasher in right after moving in here because I suck at doing dishes, but for the ones that need to be washed by hand we use Earth Friendly products. I love them because they all smell really good! I'm betting they would be easier on your hands, too. Unfortunately I don't know where to find it other than at the co-op here.

Sorry to hear that your little ones were sick:( That' one of the worst things ever. It's just so sad having to see them so miserable...