Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Math Mania Monday

Mondays in our house are for Math Mania!  What in the world does that mean?  Well, in a nutshell, it's using living math books, ideas, and projects to teach math to all the kids at once, no matter what level they're at.  I'll walk you through our loop, which we'll work on for 1, maybe 2 hours max, each week.






First up, a math game.  Well, that's easy.  Just pick a game out of our collection that deals in some way with math.  Monopoly and Rummikub are my 12yo's favorites.  We also have the basic number cards and others from RightStart Math and use those for games.  Candyland is great for the youngest, as are Chutes and Ladders and Trouble.  We also love Sorry, Yahtzee, and The Ladybug Game.  Along with several math fact bingo type games and card decks, we have a good selection to choose from each time we hit it on the loop.

Problem of the Week is an email I signed up for to get problems each week on different levels.  Level A is the easiest and is supposed to be about a 3rd/4th grade level.  I'm using it for my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders.  Level B is for 5th/6th grades.  I use it for 3rd-6th grades.  Level C is for 7th/8th, Level D is for 9th/10th, and Level E is for 11th/12th.  I use Levels A-D regularly.  I choose the best ones for which students each week. So this week I am doing Level A for my 2 7yos, Level B for the younger 2 girls (ages 10 & 12), and Level D for the oldest 2 (ages 12 & almost 14).

Math Challenges are ideas I get from Pinterest mostly.  :)  These are for the younger 4 students (toddler can join in if he wants, but usually he just destroys things - so we try to make this time during a nap or controlled time when he's not loose wreaking havoc).  Perhaps we'll run a store one day.  FunSchooling had an idea where they run a restaurant.  Click on the Pinterest link to see my Math Board.

While the younger 4 are taking a stab at my Math Challenge, I work on Business Math with the oldest 2.  L is attempting to run a book store, and R is running a pet store.  We aren't very far into it yet, but they've been getting a ton of practice with multiplication with decimals and multiple digits and a little with percentages, as well.

Living Math Books are fun books we're reading through.  3 and the Shape of Three has been a blast learning about triangles and all the things you can do with them.  This is a book I picked up at a used book sale and have not found anywhere else all over the internet. 





We also read books like Sir Cumference, G is for Googol, and Janice Van Cleave's Math for Every Kid.  Lots of fun ones out there, and I pick up more at book sales often.

Living Math Activity is similar to the Math Challenges, but this time I include the biggest girls in on the action.

Life of Fred was recommended to me (a million times) by a good friend.  I finally borrowed hers and tried it out - and the kids were hooked!  So we bought our own set and gave her hers back.  Hee, hee!  The oldest 2 are working through Cats on their own (and I help as needed, which shouldn't be often), and I'm working through Apples with the next 3.  My youngest isn't ready for it yet, though he's probably getting close.  I'll include him in it next year, maybe.  So for now, I have dot to dots and other math type puzzles and activities for him.

And finally, puzzle books.  These are really just activity books I've found and collect to give them some fun time.  Mazes, dot to dots, code books, etc.  Anything that might strike their interest.

Again, we only work for an hour, maybe 2 hours max, and I just mark off where we left off for the next time.  Sometimes we only get 1 thing done in a day, other times several.  Doesn't matter to me - we're making progress, and the kids are exposed to new ideas on a regular basis that they can pull from in their endeavors each day.

What kinds of fun math things do you do in your household?  I'm sure I'll eventually want to mix it up a bit, so replacement ideas are very welcome!

No comments: